On this week’s edition of Assembly Call Radio, we discuss the benefits of “secret” scrimmages and publicly announcing captains, then play a fun game of buy or sell with some of the most common narratives coming out of Media Day and Hoosier Hysteria.
On the mics this week: Jerod Morris, Ryan Phillips, and Brian Tonsoni.
Listen to the edited podcast here (rundown with time stamps below):
Remember: use the URL http://iutickets.shop when you need to buy IU basketball or football tickets.
That URL will take you to SeatGeek, where you will find the ticket prices arranged by value (it’s a really helpful setup), and all purchases are fully guaranteed.
Plus, it’s our affiliate link, so when you use it and buy tickets we get a commission — making it a great way to support the show.
Also: use the promo code ASSEMBLY for $20 back after your first purchase. Again, the URL: http://iutickets.shop.
And here is the unedited video of the live broadcast of this week’s episode:
This week’s rundown
In Segment One [02:18], Jerod discusses some intriguing comments by Don Fischer in his Banner Moment, Coach and Ryan provide their opening thoughts, and then we discuss the many benefits of participating in a secret scrimmage over a public exhibition game. The athletic department loses the money from the gate receipts, but does the team gain more from the experience?
In Segment Two [15:52], we discuss the importance of having captains, in the wake of Juwan and Zach being named captains for this season. Why was it important to announce it publicly? What message does it send in the locker room and to recruits?
In Segment Three [26:10], we go buy or sell on some of the most common narratives being bandied about since Media Day and Hoosier Hysteria. Is Devonte Green ready to be consistent? Is Al Durham the most improved player on the team? Will Evan Fitzner start? Will Race Thompson and Jake Forrester be rotation players?
In Segment Four [44:00], we answer your questions.
• How important is Rob Phinisee’s development?
• Will the free throw shooting improve this season?
• What 3-5 guys will be left out of the rotation?
• Could Keion Brooks, Justin Smith, and Jerome Hunter all play together?
All of that and more on this week’s edition of Assembly Call Radio.
Subscribe for free to The Assembly Call
- You can listen to Assembly Call Radio live on CBS Sports 1430 in Indianapolis at 6:00 p.m. Eastern Time on Friday evenings, and on Saturday mornings beginning at 11:00 a.m.
- You can also listen on Friday mornings at 10:00 a.m. Eastern Time on The Big X — WXVW (1450 AM and 96.1 FM) — in the Jeffersonville area.