In today’s edition of Banner Morning:
• IU posted a new practice video to its social media accounts — we provide three quick takeaways.
• Where does IU fall in the annual unofficial Big Ten media preseason poll?
• One ESPN expert predicts Romeo Langford could become “the face of college basketball.”
• Eric Bossi discusses Juwan’s growth since his freshman year.
• Happy birthday to three Hoosiers who played on championship* teams.
* – One is a hypothetical banner, but damnit it’s real to me!
Subscribe for free to The Assembly Call
Welcome to another edition of Banner Morning. We are now 26 days away from Chicago State.
In team news …
Indiana posted another fun compilation of practice highlights to its social media accounts. Here are three quick takeaways:
- Zach McRoberts apparently has a dribble-behind-his-back, step-back jump shot in his practice arsenal. Just ask Evan Fitzner.
- De’Ron Davis was out there getting some action in. That’s great to see.
- And the coaching staff might be using these videos to send a message to Justin Smith about finishing stronger at the rim, because while he skies for a majestic dunk over Romeo in one clip, the video also shows him getting rejected twice — once by Fitzner and once by Clifton Moore.
Alex Bozich at Inside the Hall summarized the results of the annual unofficial Big Ten media poll.
- Indiana is picked to finish third, behind Michigan State and Michigan. (Indiana received one first place vote.)
- Juwan Morgan made the All-Conference First Team.
- And Romeo Langford was the unanimous pick to be Big Ten Freshman of the Year.
Remember: Big Ten Media Day is today in Chicago. BTN has coverage beginning at 9 ET.
ESPN asked a few of its experts what Romeo’s impact will be. All three were predictably bullish on Romeo’s chances to have a huge freshman year. Myron Medcalf even went so far as to say Romeo could have a Trae Young-like impact for the Hoosiers and become “the face of college basketball.”
And Eric Bossi of Rivals analyzed 13 seniors who were ranked outside of the top-50 in their recruiting class but who will be carrying major loads this season. On the list: Juwan Morgan.
Here is what Bossi said in his “high school lookback” about Morgan, who was ranked 109th in his class: “Juwan Morgan had a nice motor and an overall feel for the game. I worried a little that being on the small side and not overly athletic could limit him at the Big Ten level.”
That seems like a fair analysis given what Juwan was when he came to Bloomington. But as Bossi notes, “[Juwan] has developed into a scorer, he can rebound and he’s emerging as a leader under the direction of Indiana coach Archie Miller.”
And we have some birthdays coming up over the weekend …
Happy birthday to three Hoosiers who played some of the best teams in school history:
- Bob Dro — who played on Indiana’s 1940 championship team.
- Todd Meier — who played on Indiana’s 1987 championship team.
- And one of my favorites growing up: defensive stalwart Chris Reynolds, who played on Indiana’s 1993 should-have-won-a-championship-were-it-not-for-Alan-Henderson’s-knee-injury team.
For the links mentioned in this edition of Banner Morning, visit assemblycall.com. You can join us at our website tonight at 9:00 for this week’s live broadcast of Assembly Call Radio.
I’ll be back on Monday with a brand new edition of Banner Morning. Until then, keep your elbows in and your eyes on the rim, and go Hoosiers.